This bundle contains all my published ebooks on various programming topics:
- Python re(gex)?
- Ruby Regexp
- GNU grep and ripgrep
- GNU sed
- GNU awk
- Ruby one-liners cookbook
- Perl one-liners cookbook
- 100 Page Python Intro
- Practice Python Projects
- Command line text processing with GNU Coreutils
- Vim Reference Guide
The above links point to GitHub repos for the respective books. These repos have sample chapters, code snippets, exercises and other files related to these books.
- GNU grep and ripgrep, GNU sed, GNU awk, Ruby one-liners cookbook and Perl one-liners cookbook will help you learn how to use these command line tools from the terminal. The various regex flavors used in grep/sed/awk are discussed in dedicated chapters/sections with plenty of examples. See my blog post for subtle differences between the BRE/ERE implementations in these tools.
- 100 Page Python Intro provides a short, introductory guide for the Python programming language, suited for those already familiar with programming basics.
- Practice Python Projects helps you take the next step in your programming journey with real world inspired Python projects.
- Command line text processing with GNU Coreutils teaches you more than twenty specialized text processing tools such as
- Vim Reference Guide focuses on the Vim text editor. There's an entire chapter for the Vim regex flavor.
I love your books on regex...As a student from the Digital VLSI space, it is indeed useful now and definitely in the future. It's really well written and really easy to understand the examples — feedback on reddit
It's very thorough, written with care, and presented in a way that makes sense. Even as an intermediate Python programmer, I found use in this book. — feedback by Andrew Healey on an early draft for '100 Page Python Intro' mentioned in this Hacker News thread
Step up your cli fu with this fabulous intro & deep dive into awk. I learned a ton of tricks! — feedback on twitter
Your Practice Python Projects book is really helping me to reinforce my knowledge and mastery of Python as I'm learning. It alone makes the bundle well worth the money! — feedback on twitter
This Ruby one-liners cookbook is incredible. Pretty mind boggling all the stuff you can do. — feedback on twitter
In my opinion the book does a great job of quickly presenting examples of how commands can be used and then paired up to achieve new or interesting ways of manipulating data. Throughout the text there are little highlights offering tips on extra functionality or limitations of certain commands. For instance, when discussing the shuf command we're warned that shuf will not work with multiple files. However, we can merge multiple files together (using the cat command) and then pass them to shuf. These little gems of wisdom add a dimension to the book and will likely save the reader some time wondering why their scripts are not working as expected. — book review by Jesse Smith on distrowatch.com for "Command line text processing with GNU Coreutils"
Hi, great work releasing this! Trying to explain vim concisely is always an interesting challenge and I had a great time reading your attempt in this book. I always find it really interesting on how people try to group certain vim functions in a way that makes sense to people that don't use vim. I think you cover that idea pretty well in your 'Vim philosophy and features' section whilst not making it overly abstract and keeping it relatable. — feedback on Hacker News by doix for "Vim Reference Guide"
I consider myself pretty experienced at shell-fu and capable of doing most things I set out to achieve in either bash scripts or fearless one-liners. However, my awk is rudimentary at best, I think mostly because it's such an unforgiving environment to experiment in. These books you've written are great for a bit of first principles insight and then quickly building up to functional usage. I will have no hesitation in referring colleagues to them! — feedback on Hacker News
You'll get PDF and EPUB versions of all the books.
- You'll get PDF and EPUB versions of all the books.
- Last Updated2022-03-15